6th May 2009
By Karen Davis
THE LONG-RUNNING dispute between protesters and Southend Council over the widening of Priory Crescent has ended.
The row over the Saxon Burialsite was resolved when members of Camp Bling met with Councillor Anna Waite, Councilor Nigeol Holdcroft and Rob Tinlin, chief executive of SouthendCouncil last week.
Councillor Waite confirmed that £5million of central government funding would be spent solely on the CuckooCorner roundabout, with possible junction improvements - but there would be no widening of priory Crescent, which would have caused the loss of trees and disruption to the burial site.
Campaigners agreed to clear and vacate the camp following the meeting.
Camp leader Shaun Qureshi said: "We would like to thank everyone who has been involved in the campaign, which has been running since 2001.
"It's not every day that you get to be part of such an extraordinary effort."
It is expected that the amp will be cleared by the end of July at no cost to local taxpayers.
The campaigners have agreed to vacate the site by August 1.
Coucillor Waite is delighted the matter has been resolved.
She said: "This is an early Christian burial site and the burial site of an important Saxon King or Prince, and should be respected as such.
"A simple landscaping design with traditional English bulbs and trees, nothing formal, with a suitable citation is all that is needed here."